Objective: To learn and practice penalty box procedures and penalties and to practice ref skating patterns and ref eyes
Typical length of drill: Variable
Materials needed: Taped out track, skater volunteers (at least one pack)
Skill level required: Basic skating skills, knowledge of ref skating patterns Description:
- Review penalty box IPs – 6.13.13-15 & 6.13.22-25 and penalty box processes – 7.3.2 &7.3.7
- 1-2 IPRs and 3 OPRs take position on track
- Numbers of IPRs on track will depend on numbers there. For this to work best there needs to be 2-3 refs standing in the middle of the track for each turn. Their job is to watch for penalties called by skating refs and any that are missed. DO NOT CALL ANY PENALTIES. At end of jam/drill, all refs discuss calls/missed calls, positioning, etc.
- Rotate spots. Try to get every ref to have a go in every role and at least 2 turns in the middle.
- Works best if drills are lined up with skater trainer and they do matching drills – i.e. penalty box entering exiting drills for red stars
- A good chance for skaters to try our reffing